The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/and-yours-truly-is-a-prime-example-of-why-bmi-is-30604665.aspx

Subject:  Re: Chicks on the Right Date:  3/24/2013  3:28 PM
Author:  307wolverine Number:  675697 of 741846

And yours truly is a prime example of why BMI is misleading. I am about 6'1" and 195 pounds (more or less). My BMI is 25.7, so I'm overweight. But, I have body fat <10%.

The Navy used the ratio of neck size to waist size. I have a small neck for someone 6'2", 195 lbs (back then). I was forever on the verge of being "overfat," depending upon the compassion of the person doing the measurements.

They used a "three strikes, you're out" theory. If you missed their arbitrary targets three times in a row, you were processed for admin discharge. Given the post-Cold War downsizing, it was a way to get folks to weed themselves out.

I lucked out because they took a year to figure out a new system. They decided to do a "three strikes at any time in your career" approach. They also reset everyone to zero. I retired before the third strike.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us