The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-bmi-is-257-so-im-overweight-but-i-have-30604667.aspx

Subject:  Re: Chicks on the Right Date:  3/24/2013  3:29 PM
Author:  martybl Number:  675698 of 740379

My BMI is 25.7, so I'm overweight. But, I have body fat <10%.

I'm in a similar situation, though not quite as extreme. Eighteen months ago I was 5'10" and 168 pounds, for a BMI of 24.1, which the bureaucrats would have been happy with. After a year of weightlifting five times a week, coupled with running several days a week, my weight has gotten up to 180 pounds, for a BMI of 25.8.

The bureaucrats would think, based on this superficial measurement, that I'm doing worse, though my body fat by air displacement plethysmography has gone down, and I look better and more muscular. We either need to get ObamaCare to pay for air displacement plethysmography, or get them out of the weight management business entirely.

One of the Quality of Care measurements that my EMR pops up with is whether BMI is within the normal range, and if not, whether it's been addressed. I've actually had to waste time dictating that muscular professional athletes are NOT overweight, by any reasonably sophisticated measurement.

martybl
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us