The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotbut-competition-has-been-escalated-to-the-30604671.aspx

Subject:  Re: Since you asked... Date:  3/24/2013  3:33 PM
Author:  InconclusiveFool Number:  872736 of 886579

"But competition has been escalated to the point where success is defined by being physically at work until seven, eight, nine o'clock at night, being available by some electronic device 24 hours a day, if you do manage to leave the office, then it is expected that you will be back online later that night."

This is not an entirely new phenom. When I started in the full-time job market back in the the early 1980's, I remember a number of people who regularly stayed late and worked on weekends to do additional research, and continue to learn more about their jobs. Most have them have since retired, but all ended up in high level leadership positions because they were better at their jobs than anyone else.

Also, when I was single, I would tend to stay late because I didn't have anyone waiting at home for me. After I married and we had children, I was/am less inclined (though it still happens on occasion) to stay late because being home with my family is more important to me than climbing any higher on the corporate ladder.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us