The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotthere-would-be-less-people-on-disability-if-30605118.aspx

Subject:  Re: Disability: How the unemployed survive Date:  3/24/2013  9:52 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  48545 of 61977

"There would be less people on disability if you had a higher minimum wage and universal health care."

I doubt it. Universal health care - but obviously folks gotta pay for it. In most places in EU , they take about 8.5% of your paycheck. Your employer also pays 8.5% or more. That's 17% of a paycheck, no matter how big or small.

It's a racket over here now. I know of one friend......who got his girlfriend onto SS disability. SHe could work but couldn't stand all day. Had some minor health issues. Most folks would just keep working. She lost her job......and he got one of these lawyer sharks to take her case.

They arranged 'doctor visits' and 'tests' to prove that she was 'disabled' and unable to work. took about 6 months for it to get processed. Now, she's collecting a nice check at age 57, got on Medicare a year later (cheap for her gold plated insurance), and he and she go to the gym 3 or 4 times a week and work out. Sweet deal.

Just have a 'bad back' or 'chronic pain' or 'chronic fatigue' or something like that.

Heck, if I had to work after I got 'downsized'.....and couldn't find a job and had to have something, there's a chance I would have used my medical history to file a 'disability claim' and get a nice fat pension for life. What do you get? Right, you get what you would get from SS if you were 'full retirement age'!.....and it would be COLA adjusted. With disability , you go on full Medicare two years later.

Wow...what a deal!......

Doesn't matter either if you have $30,000 a year in other income either.....

80% of the claims filed now are bogus....early retirement paid for by the working stiffs who don't have an 'ailment' serious enough to derail them.

Seen it first hand. Know the scam system. IT's a shame. Some are really disabled, but most these days are fat slobs who ate themselves into major diabetes problems, bad knee joints, bad backs, and who take the fast, easy way out to a life of Riley with no need to ever lift a finger to work again.

t.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us