The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wanting-less-inequality-is-not-the-same-as-wanting-30605372.aspx

Subject:  Re: Viral Video: Extent of US Wealth Inequality Date:  3/25/2013  8:10 AM
Author:  HMALETTER Number:  1867324 of 1960691

Wanting less inequality is not the same as wanting to "make wealth equal."

To reduce inequality, we could do a number of things such as increasing estate taxes; adding a couplefew higher tax brackets for incomes in the millions; allowing only the first, say, million bucks per employee compensation to be tax-deductible to a company (including all benefits such as deferred compensation and stock options); implementing universal health care such as the French or Swiss systems; reinstating sensible financial regulations like Glass-Steagle.

While I'm wishing, I'd love to get more of those 6% CDs I bought just a few years ago which have all now expired!

I guess with your definition, that would be true.

With your mechanisms cited above, you effectively limit wealth by transferring a larger portion of it to the government. Good job. Now I gather you have a grand plan to redistribute this wealth to the bottom layers?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us