The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Well on Less

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-not-sure-if-this-reply-is-relevant-but-would-30605669.aspx

Subject:  Re: Changing Portfolio into Retirement income Date:  3/25/2013  11:42 AM
Author:  ericson85 Number:  1459 of 1488

I am not sure if this reply is relevant, but would ask for your patience when reading this (and any (constructive) advice you can offer):
I currently work for the Federal Government part-time. As I am in my late 60's, I am taking full advantage of the Thrift Saving Plan (TSP) while continuing to keep my rolled-over savings from my previous employers (over $700k) with a full-service brokerage firm. As I am contemplating retirement within the next 2-3 years, I wonder if it would be advisable to move my full-service 401K to my TSP account which appears to be less expensive (fee-wise). As I read my TSP literature, I understand that the "annual expenses" for the administration of my TSP account is somewhere in the neighborhood of $0.27 for every $1000 in my account as compared to an average fee that might be as high as $8.30 for every $1000 with a full-service brokerage. As I look at the balance of my savings with my full-service brokerage for the past five years, it appears as if my balance has remained the same (with a possible loss over the past five years including the annual fees charged). Do you happen to have any data that would help me with the decision to either move my savings to my TSP account or keep it with my full-service brokerage? Thank you.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us