The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-get-the-impression-that-a-lot-of-you-people-are-30606315.aspx

Subject:  Re: Since you asked... Date:  3/25/2013  5:24 PM
Author:  GardenStateFool Number:  872809 of 883890

I get the impression that a lot of you people are really unhappy with your jobs. Maybe you have terrible jobs, or maybe you are just not very efficient workers.

In any case, you might consider doing something about it instead of just complaining. There probably are decent job out there for you.

By all measures on paper, I probably have a great job. I'm compensated very well. I work for a very large, multi-national, Fortune 100 company. I have excellent benefits. I have a lot of opportunities and have worked at many different positions and in many functional silos within my company.

I'm an extremely efficient worker. That's why I still have a job (FYI, of my department, I'm the *only* one who can say that, since we just "re-organized" last Thursday). Since about 2004, I have been regularly updating my portfolio of portable skills and I have managed to stay one step ahead of the I-don't-know-how-many rounds of layoffs that have happened to my friends and colleagues since then - most of whom were extremely "efficient" leaders, managers, workers, etc.

You seem to think that I'm just not working smart enough and *if only* I could figure out how to get my job done better I'd be happy.

But I started at this company nineteen years ago. The culture has changed. "Going global" means "move everything offshore" and "you get to work with contractors all over the world by phone and still get everything done."

It also means that we are expected to be on call almost 24 hours a day. I have a team leader in California, one in Europe, a boss here on the East Coast and a team in India. They all want meetings on their time.

I'm so glad you have a low-stress job that apparently paid all your bills and left plenty over for you to retire and live the life you want. I really think that's wonderful.

But you seem also to believe that it means that you think this is the way it works for everyone. It's not. Not in my company, not in the rest of comparable companies that friends of mine have jumped ship and moved to, believing the grass would be greener. It almost never was.

Maybe there is a job out there for me that pays what I make now, offers me the health benefits I need to keep my family (and their pre-existing conditions) healthy and would give me the pension and retiree benefits that I am desperately attempting to keep my job long enough to earn.

But I no longer believe it's even possible to keep up, when at all turns, there is a giant game of musical chairs going on and the jobs are streaming offshore faster than I can keep up with.

My question is, and has been: When did all of this become not only acceptable, but to the point where several people in this thread find it to be defensible on the part of the companies perpetuating it? Where it's assumed that either "You're lucky to have a job" or "Keep your head down" or "Get out of the kitchen" or "You must not be very efficient."

It has not always been like this. Why do we all assume that because it's like that now, it's right, good, or even remotely okay?

GSF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us