The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/some-career-fields-are-like-that-and-there-is-30606332.aspx

Subject:  Re: Since you asked... Date:  3/25/2013  5:36 PM
Author:  ncharge Number:  872810 of 886579

Some career fields are like that and there is nothing you can do. In my career field (Proposal Management), you can do a lot of up-front preparation but in the end you and your team have to wait for the Request for Proposal to be released, then develop a solution and write and print the response in a limited time frame. You have anywhere from 5 to 60 days. It is task-oriented work. I know what I have to do each day to stay on schedule. I work until that is done, then I can go home. These days, I can usually go home after 8 or 9 hours, but in the past I have often worked 11, 15, 17, and even more hours to get the product out the door and still meet my standards. I spent years working crazy hours as I worked out my tricks of the trade.

On the plus side - I have built best practices that make late night an uncommon event instead of business-as-usual. And, when we don't have a proposal we can take it easy and often have comp time off after submission. And it is really, really good to see a proposal and know it is good. I don't know I would handle those kind of hours if I were spending that time in repetitive tasks or tasks without a concrete product at the end.

Anyway, some jobs like mine are feast or famine (you are on or you are off). I think late hours shouldn't be the norm. It is unhealthy for people.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us