The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/congrats-im-a-little-leery-of-the-30606619.aspx

Subject:  Re: Selling: more of a rant than anything Date:  3/25/2013  8:56 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  124998 of 127565

Congrats!

I'm a little leery of the "contingent upon appraisal." I'd be OK with "contingent upon financing," and then select the potential buyer who has enough cash to make up the difference between what a low appraisal might be, and the higher price he's willing to pay.

Your Realtor will probably advise going with a lower offer, as it's more likely to avoid problems with appraisal. Since the higher offers do have appraisal contingencies, I personally would just go with the offer most in line with comps, which I'm guessing would be one of the lower offers.

Also, a buyer who feels he's getting a bargain is a little less likely to go nuts over trivia that turns up during inspection. A buyer who's paying extra (above the appraisal) is more likely to be a PITA regarding the inspection results.

If the comps support a higher price, go for it! (You should have a pretty good guess, from the comps, what the appraisal will be.)

Good luck!

YG
looking forward to add'l positive updates
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us