The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/maybe-there-is-a-job-out-there-for-me-that-pays-30606763.aspx

Subject:  Re: Since you asked... Date:  3/25/2013  11:01 PM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  872827 of 883923

Maybe there is a job out there for me that pays what I make now, offers me the health benefits I need to keep my family (and their pre-existing conditions) healthy and would give me the pension and retiree benefits that I am desperately attempting to keep my job long enough to earn.
Well, no. There isn't. You cannot have it all.

But here's the thing. The options could be better. I was in your shoes for a long time. I was supper middle-management and was chased by rolling layoffs until I finally got the short end of the stock after a long, long time. Now I am still doing just what I was doing then (except not managing a department of people). I am paid more, because I am paid based on projects. No, I don't get a pension, but I have a 401k that offers me better savings potential.Yes, I buy my own health insurance and that kind of sucks as the options aren't as good. So if you have serious health issues and your husband doesn't have family coverage that could be a deal breaker.

But it could very well be better. I say *could* be better, as no doubt - it could be worse. But sometimes when the rolling layoffs and company culture just gets to be too much it really is better to leave.

But I no longer believe it's even possible to keep up, when at all turns, there is a giant game of musical chairs going on and the jobs are streaming offshore faster than I can keep up with.
Or you could leave and they could contract right back to you. Almost everyone I know who has left a company to go out on their own has consulted back to that same company - on better terms.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us