The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-dont-know-about-insurance-fed-banking-regs-and-30606841.aspx

Subject:  Re: Since you asked... Date:  3/26/2013  12:40 AM
Author:  Gingko100 Number:  872833 of 885295

I don't know about insurance (fed banking regs and all that), but most companies hire differently as a contract employee vs. a contracting company.

I was the former at client "A" for a long, hard 9 months until I finally made the case that my company had independent clients and non-W2 income totally separate from them - with a separate financial identity from me as a person. After that they were willing to hire me through my company. At that point I was simply a resource that my company chose to offer to them as a client. It was much, much better. And at that point whether or not I had ever worked for them for 5 minutes or 5 years would have been moot as I wasn't directly contracted to them as an individual.

I can see that they wouldn't want to hire you as an individual "contract employee," but assuming you can show some kind of financial independence there is no reason they couldn't hire your company. Assuming you can structure one to have multiple paying clients. That's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, but it can work out.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us