The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-the-answers-first-what-really-happened-in-30608089.aspx

Subject:  Re: Possible 1099 error Date:  3/26/2013  5:43 PM
Author:  skidragon Number:  118169 of 121564

I have the answers.

First, what really happened in my situation. The broker missed the dividend payments, probably because they were out of cycle, so they made a payment in lieu instead of the qualified dividend it should have been. To correct this they are issuing an additional payment of 33% of the dividend payments to cover both the additional tax from the incorrectly reported payments and the tax on the additional payments. Apparently this is easier than issuing a corrected 1099 and fairly common. The net is I actually come out a little ahead.

Second, there seems to be some significant misunderstanding of when brokers can lend your shares. The federal laws governing this are quite restrictive. There must be a separate agreement unless you bought the shares using a margin loan. Just having a margin account is not sufficient.

Jeff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us