The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/we-basically-had-to-both-start-ss-at-62-and-we-did-30610013.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: Age you started SS retirement benefits Date:  3/27/2013  6:42 PM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  18339 of 19371

We basically had to both start SS at 62 and we did so. That was several years ago now. We had to because she had to stop teaching to help care for her ailing mother (who moved in with us). I had been laid off 2 years earlier, and was, honestly, tiring of doing consulting work.

Sure, we "missed out" on getting more SS income, but let's not discount the fact that we've also gotten to enjoy being retired (as in doing whatever the hell we WANT to do every day) for all those years!

We manage okay. We eat out one meal almost every day (usually at noon -- cheaper and our big meal for the day then), we pay our bills, and, mainly, we enjoy a lot of goofing off!

BTW, I now realize, as was verified by the State of VT and by the 1040 IRS tax instructions, that, barring a sudden huge leap in what I pull out of my IRA each year to supplement our Social Security and other small sources, we will no longer even have to fill out federal or state income tax forms after this! Nice! (We'll still apply for our Homesteader credit on line. It applies just to Vermonters, so I won't bother to explain it, but it ends up saving us a bundle on our local property taxes -- like maybe a third or more.)

Depends on your lifestyle and your needs. Again, no regrets here, and we love the freedom.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us