The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/big-deal-30612501.aspx

Subject:  Big Deal Date:  3/28/2013  11:39 PM
Author:  RaptorD2 Number:  419159 of 504810

It can’t be just me.

Recent news stories from anywhere on Earth require a reader to have access to maps of a rotating list of geographic locations in the world. Cyprus. Luxemburg. Portugal. Spain. Pick up any newspaper, if you happen to be one of the minority of remaining subscribers. Otherwise, look at any news website, magazine or investing spam and we find more rehashing of similar crises that are increasingly dire and each “unique”. Unique” in circumstance, unique in geographical terms and unique in the solutions provided by the reigning Powers That Be.

But wait. Are they unique? All the banking crises around the globe … we often tend to think of them as limited, country-specific problems and indeed, some of the unsustainable situations that have arisen since 2008 were indeed exacerbated by actions taken by political leaders of various locals in addition to those taken by management at individual TBTF banks. No doubt about that. However, and I may be wrong, the lens I look through to view the world is telling me an even more hideous story. Thankfully I am not an economist and have no special expertise in economics, so there is a chance that my lens needs tuning or replacement. But for now, it’s the only lens I have to judge what’s really happening on planet Earth.

My first thought is that there are so many interesting questions arising out of these “crisis events” that one would have to be a fool to wonder why solutions, or rules, if you will, were not already in place—and publicized, mind