The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/shes-cantankerous-and-a-continuance-of-the-30613350.aspx

Subject:  Re: Uncooperative, Signature Date:  3/29/2013  2:11 PM
Author:  Patzer Number:  118192 of 121217

She's cantankerous, and a continuance of the marriage is looking unlikely. She recently raided my checking account (she had access for emergencies) to the tune of $20k and she's hidden my laptop. So I'm earning all the money, paying all the bills, and accepting the abuse for now.

Condolences. I've been there (with smaller numbers) and it wasn't fun. I ended up with two tax returns to file during the divorce proceeding. The first one was stressful because I didn't think I could get her signature at a distance of 1200 miles even though she verbally agreed to a joint filing. I ended up filing that one electronically. Fortunately, she didn't back out of her verbal agreement. If I had to make that decision again today, I'd file MFS and pay the extra tax.

The second year was a no-brainer. We lived apart all year, I had custody of our daughter, and I filed HoH. Soon to be ex-wife would have been legally required to file MFS with a zero standard deduction, because I itemized; but filing as single would have raised no flags with the IRS because I filed HoH instead of MFS. I don't know how she actually filed, and that was Not My Problem.

She's going to want something in exchange for her signature, and it's probably not worth it. I'm estimating may $8k extra tax to file separately, but filing joint means she'll probably want the entire $8k in exchange.

Perhaps you can negotiate with her, perhaps you can't. If you can trust her to honor her word, it's worth attempting the negotiation. If you can't trust her to honor her word, the $8K extra tax is just one of many ways a divorce is expensive.

Patzer
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us