The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Recovering the 401k Date:  3/29/2013  3:38 PM
Author:  thomasbihn Number:  71553 of 88775

I assume you are past your 60 day rollover period? If not, you may still be able to get the money back in.

If not, the Roth IRA is probably your best option. If you haven't invested last year, you have about 15 days to get $5000 towards last year contribution. That would allow you to get the other $5000 into this year's.

If you have a company match available for the first x% in your current 401(k), you should at least do that amount there first.

If you can't get the full amount into the IRA + your match, then I'd prefer the 401(k) over taxable investments. That investment will grow tax-free, including dividend and capital gain distributions reinvested.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us