The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: wrong SSN on W-2 Date:  3/30/2013  10:25 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  118221 of 127613

First, you might suggest to the little darling that he could have looked at his papers when they came in close to 2 months ago.

I'm still working on raising this child, and he still needs help with finances. It is not unexpected with him, and I won't fault him for it. If anything, I should have looked, and I only just happened to notice it.

Then there would have been plenty of time to contact the employer, point out the error, and get a corrected W-2.

Contacting the employer is pretty easy (it was the golf club that we belong to and it would only take a phone call). Would this be the preferred method here? As he is getting money back, I could always opt for an extension if that makes sense. It's only MA that he owes the $20 to, but the feds owe him money.

File on paper.

Assuming I cannot get the W2 corrected, is the filing on paper option recommended because then I can include the W-2s and they can see that it all goes together? I'm just trying to understand the logic here.

I appreciate the help with this. I actually waited til this weekend to get his taxes done because he was scheduled to be home, and I need him to review what I do, and to sign the MA taxes because those do get filed by mail to avoid the $19.95 TT electronic filing fee.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us