The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: tax question Date:  3/30/2013  11:11 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118223 of 127753

What I am wondering is how am I supposed to include this in my taxes as a stock sale?

My wondering first. What do your notes show about this cash-in-lieu payment? You know, the work you did back at the time of the spinoff to determine all the tax effects of the spinoff. If you didn't do that, you're going to have to some day, so now's as good a time as any. If you can't find the guidelines you were sent back then, try investor relations, or maybe someone on the stock's TMF board can help.

Once we know what the numbers are we'll also need to know exactly how this is being shown on your no doubt "consolidated" 1099 from the broker. I'm seeing all sorts of garbage on these, with the same transaction reported three or four times. In the part that's straight 1099-B (no supplemental information):

1. what does it say about "covered" vs "noncovered" or A vs B?
2. what entries are in what columns?

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us