The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/hi-spinning-how-does-an-iul-compare-to-other-30615553.aspx

Subject:  Re: 7702 Private Plans (indexed universal life) Date:  3/31/2013  12:22 PM
Author:  Dwdonhoff Number:  71598 of 76418

Hi Spinning,

How does an IUL compare to other low-risk strategies, such as a ladder of FDIC insured CDs, or bonds?
I would expect insured CDs and unhedged bonds to underperform the hedged structure used inside an IUL... but if you can find historical data, maybe Ray can add a column (or ful worksheet) to consider the question.

==============

Hi Synchro,

I get that you are discussing structuring a contract with as "thin" a death benefit as possible, but you still have increasing mortality expenses per $1,000 of death benefit as the individual ages and (as discussed at length on this thread) variability in the crediting rate on the cash value.
I know the thread is long & scrolly... but the solution to your dilema is there;
As the mortality charges increase per dollar of death benefit, the required amount of death benefit decreases faster.

I'd be leery of making a blanket statement that the mortality costs are always going to be decreasing, but that may be due to overexposure to a compliance department. :-)
Not sure what you mean here.

Dave Donhoff
Leverage Planner
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us