The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Gifting a House to Your Child Date:  3/31/2013  5:24 PM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  118232 of 127611

We have gifted our home to my wife's oldest son (and we now live in a continuing care facility). It is appraised at $315,000 with no mortgage. I understand that this gift will be tax free and counted against our $5 million exclusion for inheritance. But how do I actually put this on our 1040? I have Googled quite a bit. For example, Form 709 does not seem to apply (no generation skipping), but the directions are long and rather confusing.* Is there another IRS form I should fill out? If so I haven't been able to find it.

* For example they give the case of giving your home to your granddaughter.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us