The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotbaxter-which-costs-22000-can-lift-30616453.aspx

Subject:  Re: Middle Class[Income] Jobs ain't Coming Back? Date:  4/1/2013  9:04 AM
Author:  Art53 Number:  676642 of 753346

"Baxter, which costs $22,000, can lift objects from a conveyor belt. “You don’t have to tell it the exact velocity,” Dr. Brooks said. “It sees objects and grabs them, matching its speed to the speed of the object.”.."

When I first graduated from college I got a job at Kraft Foods in Decatur, Georgia. My job was stacking boxes on pallets at the end of a conveyor belt. Sounds like the robot described above could have easily taken my job and probably do it better than I did. They could have probably turned the machine up to the highest speed also and the robot would have been able to keep up. They had to adjust the speed of the machine to the person at the end who grabbed the boxes and stacked them on pallets. I did it all day long, hour after hour, for nine months till I had saved enough money to go to the University of Georgia.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us