The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Fuskie's Town Hall Exposition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fuskie-has-a-new-gig-30617411.aspx

Subject:  Fuskie Has A New Gig Date:  4/1/2013  4:49 PM
Author:  Fuskie Number:  2037 of 2145

Some of you already know this, but for the last year, I've been hiding a secret. 2012 was a really difficult year for me. I thought after 7 years of hit and miss contracting, I had a stable and long term job. I had been working on a home renovation for a couple years, replacing my 30yr old doors and windows, living behind plastic curtains while my master bath was gutted, finding holes in my uninsulated floor, having my living room jacked up 3" because the outside posts had settled. It's cost me an arm and a leg - I've actually spent more on the remodel than I did on the original purchase nearly 20 years ago - and I finally got to the point where if I wanted to finish it, I was going to have to take advantage of some zero-percent financing deals.

So paint on the walls - 12 months financing. Sofa and love seat? 18 months financing. Finally replacing my 19 yr old mattress with a Sleep Number bed? 24mo financing. The good news is I had the credit to get these purchases approved. The bad news is my employment was not as secure as I thought it was. I fell behind on my payments, had to deplete what was left of my eFund, and eventually was able to save my house but not save my credit and had to declare bankruptcy. After 13 years of counseling others on the Credit Cards/Consumer Credit discussion board, I had become a victim of my own self-confidence.

But a funny thing happened along the way, and it happened so quickly, I was kind of swept away by the experience. As most of you know, I have made my bones of