The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Broker issue Date:  4/1/2013  5:25 PM
Author:  ptheland Number:  71639 of 88102


Anyone can file a complaint.

get it on record,

At best, a record no one will ever look at.

potentially get some or all that money back?

Probably not. Certainly not the losses due to market changes. At best, it would be the direct fees you paid. Which does not include any sales commissions you indirectly paid when purchasing the mutual funds. Those were almost certainly disclosed to you before you purchased the funds.

Go to Small Claims?

If you've got the spare time and filing fees. Still probably no money to you, though.

Brokers and registered representatives are very highly regulated in this country. Virtually all of them follow the letter of the law, allowing them to nickel and dime (and ten and twenty and hundred!!) your account to death quite legally.

If you really want to pursue this, you need to read all of the paperwork you more than likely glanced over when opening this account and identify the specific provision that was violated. Then you can present your complaint or case with the best possible chance of some recovery.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us