The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: How to Invest a Cash Windfall for Retirement Date:  4/1/2013  9:17 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  71645 of 88077

You do have the option to invest in a variable annuity, where your money grows tax free. But most of them are expensive and have various restrictions like surrender charges that make it costly to move your funds if performance disappoints. If you go for an annuity, be sure to check out the low cost ones offered by Fidelity, Vanguard, TIAA-Cref, T Rowe Price and others. The ones from insurance companies are often expensive.

Due to high cost and mediocre performance Fools usually prefer investing in mutual funds. Or a brokerage account. By investing in the long term buy and hold (LTBH) style, you pay taxes only when you sell and then at capital gains rates.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us