The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/talking-to-her-the-other-night-she-doesnt-want-30618415.aspx

Subject:  Re: shelter those dollars Date:  4/2/2013  11:04 AM
Author:  2gifts Number:  71656 of 75800

Talking to her the other night she doesn't want NOBODY to get her hard-earned money. Not the IRS, not some old folks home someday. So my question to you all is - is there any way to "shelter" that amount of cash from being eaten up by the old folks home if she ever needs to go to one?

So she is looking for a way that she can keep her money and give the tax payers the bill for a potential Medicaid-funded nursing home stay? There's a reason that they keep changing the laws around that, and it is so that people who have assets actually use those first before looking to the tax payers to fund their nursing home stay.

Would she not rather have the money available so that she could, for instance, hire in-home help when the time comes that she needs it, and is able to stay in her own house for as long as possible? Isn't that why she has tried to accumulate assets over the years, so that she can spend the money on herself and her own quality of life?

Has she been to one of those Medicaid-funded facilities? FIL and DH's aunt were in those, and they are not pretty. Given a choice, I'd much rather use my own money to pay for a better nursing home, should one become necessary, than depend on the government to pay for it and depend on there even being a slot open, should I need it.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us