The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/my-late-mother-was-basically-treated-by-a-nurse-30619492.aspx

Subject:  Re: Nurse Practitioners vs Doctors Date:  4/2/2013  9:49 PM
Author:  Donna405 Number:  48726 of 58870

My late mother was basically treated by a nurse practitioner in FL. Mama started having fainting spells and no one could diagnose her problem. Then, she started having a problem with muscle coordination and strength. Eventually, Mama fell and broke her femur, which was replaced with a titanium one, making her leg much stronger.

Long story short, my mother had Parkinson's. The nurse practitioner and doctor had Mama on 13 different medications, when her problem was Parkinson's. Had the nurse practitioner or the doctor referred Mama to a neurologist, the condition would have been diagnosed. When I moved Mama up to SC with me, the first thing I did was have my internist perform a complete physical. The internist took mother off all the medications and referred her to a neurologist, who correctly diagnosed her condition. The only Rx she was on from then on was LDopa (plus her multi-vitamin).

Therefore, I have a slight problem with nurse practitioners, particularly those who do not consult the MD before taking action, or in Mama's case, inaction.

Donna
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us