The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pays-a-death-benefit-in-the-event-of-your-30621482.aspx

Subject:  Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL [rev 1] Date:  4/4/2013  9:35 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  71692 of 75794

Pays a death benefit, in the event of your demise, to heirs in many multiples of your total contribution.

The strategy that Dave espoused earlier was keeping the minimum legal requirement for a death benefit. Is that legal minimum requirement really 'many multiples of your total contribution'?

Charges fees far lower (.75-1.20%) than mutual funds, 401(k) and IRA (3-4%).

My mutual fund, 401(k) and IRA fees are all at or below 1%, with most in the 0.2% range. My average fees on all my investments is about 0.3% That's significantly lower than 0.75% - 1.20%

Ensures that ALL gains are protected.

But doesn't include dividends in the gains, which, as Ray pointed out, is a significant part of the potential 'gain'

Compare the above against trading naked in the S&P500. No contest, in my opinion, albeit we don't seem to be able to arrive at a simple comparison of percentage gains via back testing.

If the figures RayVT posted are correct, I don't think I need a simple comparison of percentage gains via back testing. Looks to me like the S&P wins hands down.

And, for someone who advocates risk-taking when taking on debt (ARM vs. FRM), it does seem odd that you are so averse to taking on risk when you are trying to grow assets. On the other hand, you do sell these IULs, along with mortgages, right? So, every time that someone refinances their ARM with you (to lengthen their term to try to get the payment back down after rates eventually increase), you get a commission, and every time someone buys an IUL through you, you get a commission. Maybe not so odd why you are such a strong advocate for your strategies, then.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us