The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  K-1 form question Date:  4/5/2013  2:16 PM
Author:  tedhimself Number:  118294 of 127546

A fairly large number of Wife's extended family leased a piece of land to an oil company in 2012. One member of the family who is a lawyer set up an LLC.

To keep the math simple, wife's share of the total rental in 2012 would have been $1,100, but the lawyer only sent us $1,000 in 2012 because he is withholding this amount from each member until we get a problem settled with people who contend that they should also be members of the LLC.

The lawyer sent us a K-1 form (1065). When I fill out my taxes according to the entries on the K-1, I find that we are being taxed on the $1,100 dollars instead of the $1,000 we actually received.*

This doesn't seem right to me. There is no assurance that we will ever receive the missing $100.00. I'm wondering if the K-1 was done correctly and how we should handle our taxes since April 15, is getting very close.

*(The lawyer, who is not a CPA, is quite certain that we owe taxes on the $1,100)

How should we proceed?
Ted in Texas - a community property state.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us