The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/please-show-your-spreadsheet-im-not-going-to-30624795.aspx

Subject:  Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL [rev 1] Date:  4/6/2013  10:40 AM
Author:  MurrayS Number:  71751 of 75890

Please show your spreadsheet. I'm not going to take your word for it.

I didn't save it since it only took about ten or fifteen minutes to create. I can make another with whatever parameters you want. Just let me know.

Better yet, why don't you create your own? Easy peasy, right?

This discussion somewhat reminds me of the Lets Make a Deal question that most people get wrong (look it up if your not familiar). A coworker vehemently said the correct answer was wrong. Being a programmer, I asked home to write some logic to test it. It was only after he worked through the logic on his own that he came around to admitting his error.

The point is that it's easy for the mind to make incorrect logical deductions without fully analyzing the problem. You've made many broad statements about the benefits of different strategies without providing any specific historical results.

I suggest you create your own spreadsheet which will either open your eyes or provide a more valid argument to counter the data presented so far.

-murray
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us