Health & Fitness / Running Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rr-cooper-river-bridge-run-xxxvi-30626408.aspx

Subject:  RR: Cooper River Bridge Run XXXVI Date:  4/7/2013  11:34 PM
Author:  WhiteHatBobby Number:  23454 of 23857

Tenth Attempt / Ninth Start

Best time: 1:03:25 (2009)
Last year: 1:36:20
2013 time: 1:07:04

The second "running major" of the year didn't feel like the second, following the Myrtle Beach disaster that had me on the paraphets of Castel Sant'Angelo (which the Palmetto Opera company board member and I had a little laugh when she caught my Tosca reference -- it resulted in a complimentary ticket for the opera!) that has me looking to find a marathon for my major.

The marathon in my majors is undecided as of this time. September in Darlington (a new marathon, the race starts at the Weatherly Museum and ends at Darlington Raceway's start-finish line, an event they're trying to see if it can replace NASCAR's fourth major, which moved to Fort Worth, TX, in 2005 following a lawsuit) and December at Kiawah (a long-established marathon, the oldest active marathon in the state -- new course in 2012) are both being considered for the fourth major. The third and fourth majors are to stay the same -- the Peachtree (in the lottery, made it) and Governor's Cup (expect to enter when registration opens) should stay as usual.

UPDATE: No disqualification at the Tanner 12km; that race has been registered cleanly.

Packet pickup went well, I decided to attend Thursday instead of Friday to avoid the notorious long lines at this race in the past. One change is the packet pickup is 20km from the race course, and is near the Charleston International Airport. Bridge Run director Julian Smith III admitted the move to the North Charleston Convention Center was planned as early as 2010, but was vetoed by Charleston mayor Joe Riley, who wants the event downtown (as it was held at the Gailliard Auditorium downtown, just past the finish line). With the demolition of Gailliard late last year in favour of a new smaller concert hall under construction, the Charleston Symphony and Spoleto lost a key venue. Bridge Run officials chose then to sign a four-year deal to move packet pickup to the Coliseum complex, instead of trying Toronto Dominion Arena (a 6,000 seat basketball arena) next to the finish line.

The packet pickup went well, and a friend from Myrtle Beach who usually sees me at the finish asked why I wasn't there this year, and I explained the troubling DQ this year (and of course since this was Charleston, it's easy to understand Menotti is acceptable, he was the father of Spoleto). Went fairly quick and was able to register for a type of stretching class that I've embraced thanks to a friend who was my dance partner a few years ago. Took that class and felt fine, along with grocery shopping to make a go-to salad.

So Friday went off resting at work, and Saturday went off seemingly well. Breakfast at 5:30 AM and arrived at the boat a littl