The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/3-last-but-not-least-through-my-brokerage-30627042.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement planning Date:  4/8/2013  1:07 PM
Author:  sykesix Number:  71806 of 75776

3) Last, but not least, through my brokerage account, I have also bought Fidelity Contrafund (FCNTX) and Vanguard Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VTSMX). While I've been regularly adding money to Contrafund every month with no issues, I discovered today that VTSMX has a $75 fee every time I buy shares! Naive, you'll argue, but as I said, this is all new to me as a foreigner.

If you buy non-Fidelity funds from Fidelity they will charge you a fee. That's where the $75 came from. However, FSTMX which you mentioned before is basically the same thing as VTSMX. So just stick with the FSTMX and you'll be fine.

My experience with Franklin Funds in general is that they have fairly high fees associated with them. Since the fees benefit them, not you, definitely replace those funds with something cheaper. But note that since your account is with Fidelity, you should probably try to stick with an equivalent Fidelity fund or one of their no commission ETFs (of which they have quite a few).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us