The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/many-thanks-to-all-of-you-who-offered-advice-i-30627049.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement planning Date:  4/8/2013  1:10 PM
Author:  SaraW946 Number:  71807 of 76397

Many thanks to all of you who offered advice. :) I don't have a broker but manage all my funds through Fidelity, so I suppose the $75 fee is charged by Fidelity?

If I open a Vanguard account, could I transfer my Vanguard investments without penalty? I would prefer to keep the Vanguard mutual fund (Total Market Index), so I presume that if I transfer it to Vanguard as in opening a brokerage account there, they will allow it without any penalties? I am also thinking of turning it into its Admiral Shares version and just keep it there.

A couple of questions: how do I educate myself best on ETFs? Do I need to trade them actively or just let them alone most of the time? Last, but not least, since interests are low, are Total Bond Market index funds a good idea? In truth, both Vanguard and Fidelity's pension calculators advise me to take those.

A last question: is it worth investing in mutual funds outside a pension plan? If not, I will then begin to transfer those mutual funds to my IRA as of 2014, I suppose. If I do, would I still be paying a fee if I invest in Vanguard's funds, say, in the context of an IRA or 403b?

Again, I feel very obliged for your help. :)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us