The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/bogus-car-rental-agency-damage-claim-30630049.aspx

Subject:  Bogus car rental agency damage claim Date:  4/10/2013  12:31 PM
Author:  katinga Number:  306907 of 308225

We rented a car, turned it in, no damage was noted, except that I noted to the turn in agent that the left rear door wouldn't open from the inside. It turns out that that was a child safety interlock.

Now we get a damage claim asserting that the left rear seat was loose. Either that was miscoding by the agent, or a previous family with young children dislodged the seat when installing a booster seat. The car had only a few hundred miles on it when we rented it. Or the manufacturer delivers the car with the child safety interlock actuated.

We had an adult passenger in that seat during the rental. He did not notice anything. We carried light cargo such as carry-on baggage on the seat, and I didn't notice anything obvious.

I called the claims adjuster with the company. They seemed responsive and are following up.

Should I alert my credit card company and block transactions from that company?

Any other actions I should take?

Also, the credit card company covers collision damage waivers, but unfortunately only for 15 day rentals. Ours was for 17 days.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us