The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Reporting Stock Sale Date:  4/10/2013  5:39 PM
Author:  billy3p Number:  118364 of 127536

In gifted my daughter ~4 shares of a stock that was part of a ESOP program from a past employer. In 2012 the stock was converted twice due to buyouts and as a result there was a cash distribution on the sale of a fractional share to the conversion of the most recent company.

The new company has assigned a cost basis for the shares converted and she will need to report the cash distribution for the sale of the fractional share on her state and federal tax returns.

Which form should be used to report this sale and how will she(I) compute the tax,if any, to be paid?


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us