The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-do-i-fill-the-void-of-so-much-time-on-my-30632957.aspx

Subject:  Re: I might be crazy but.... Date:  4/12/2013  8:29 AM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  71963 of 76398

How do I fill the void of so much time on my hands?

I can't say what retirement might be like for you, just for me & my husband.

We read, write, watch TV, go out to eat and to the movies, take nature and city walks, play my fiddle and paint with pastels (hubby writes computer code and takes photos), make a complicated dinner on a weeknight--whatever we want, whenever we want. If I'm engrossed in something, I can do it till 2am coz I don't need to get up at a specific time in the morning.

We have time to take better care of our home, our vehicles and other possessions, and ourselves, time to comparison shop, walk on the beach, and see friends. Having house guests is much easier. We can travel any time, not just when convenient for an employer. If we get sick, we can get all the rest, treatment, and medical appointments we want and need.

And...since my husband retired, he'll make me a homemade latte whenever I want one, not just late Sunday mornings ;-) We just finished enjoying our lattes and homemade granola w/homemade fruit salad. Later this morning my husband has time to go to the audiologist, and I have time for a mammogram. Afterwards we have time to go out for a leisurely lunch and then stop at our favorite fishmonger for fresh shrimp for dinner, right off the trawler behind the shop. And we'll be home before the after-school traffic is on the road.

We both thought it would take some time to adjust to retirement, but it didn't take as long as 5 minutes--for either of us. And we were kind of workaholics. You know all those times you had to stop reading/writing/watching TV/talking on the phone to get to work? Well, we don't have to stop now!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us