The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/selling-expenses-30633384.aspx

Subject:  Selling Expenses Date:  4/12/2013  1:02 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  118384 of 121095

I am receiving unsolicited and I believe bad advice. I am not likely to tax advice from someone who has had their checking account attached by the IRS and had an IRS agent come to their home.

Fees for the real estate agent and fees/taxes that are on the closing statement are easy. They are clearly expenses related to the sale, and should be deductible.

Real estate taxes are paid through the end of the year, and were deducted on 2012 taxes. The due date is pasted. It wasn't an option to not pay the real estate taxes before selling. There will be some repayment of the real estate taxes, which I expect to be taxable.

I don't believe that miscellaneous repairs that are routine maintenance are deductible (replacing a failed outlet, damaged clips on a set of blinds, and other routine repairs.)

Other expenses:
1.) Carpet
2.) Paint
3.) Furnace
Needs repair, but replacement might be necessary
4.) Replacing a screen door
(It needs a small part, but I don't know if we can find it.)
5.) Professional cleaning before an open house
6.) Plants and front yard clean up
The front yard will need a quick make-over for listing: some new plants, removing a couple of uncooperative shrubs, and bark
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us