The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/life-is-all-about-change-i-was-out-and-about-30633760.aspx

Subject:  Re: Why Me No Likey Planned Parenthood Date:  4/12/2013  5:09 PM
Author:  LuckyDog2002 Number:  677562 of 753960

life is all about change...

I was out and about and heard my name several times, it was noisy and I couldn't figure out where the person was and then I turned and there was an old friend of mine from yrs. ago, with a little girl and her sister. I gave her a big hug and said hello to her daughter. She's almost 3 yrs. old, one of those surprise babies. My friend is 47. I hadn't seen them in a long time. We used to hang out all the time and then something happened and there was a break.

Anyway, she grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist church and went to Bob Jones University....very strict. In our conversations, I had shared I was pro-choice and later on, she told me that she was absolutely against it, it's murder....condoms, birth control pills okay, but abortion was out of the question.

Well, as we caught up with each other, I asked about her other daughter, who is in the 11th grade. She's pregnant and due in July. She's not married. She would sneak her boyfriend in her house at night. Oh gosh, I sympathized with her. She said she could understand now why women would consider abortion at these times. Here they have a young girl, no job, not even graduated from high school, what prospects does she have to raise the child? THe prospect is her parents now. She said that her daughter is saying she wants to keep the child. My heart goes out to all of them.

My thinking has always been that it's a horrible thing to do and the woman suffers either way, with having a child she can't support to having an abortion and the reality of what that means.

My friend says now that she's sorry that she judged all those people in the past who had or considered having abortions. You never know until it hits you personally.

LuckyDog
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us