The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-the-quotdeceleration-timequot-30634415.aspx

Subject:  Re: I might be crazy but.... Date:  4/13/2013  12:09 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  71982 of 75383

I think the "deceleration time" differences are a very important point. Here are some factors I think may be relevant:

+ Job type.

Jobs that schedule most of your time such as public school teaching, factory work, health care and other customer-focused jobs may leave you at a loss for filling up retirement hours as you may be out of practice in determining for yourself what to do. I think transition to retirement may be easier when you're more accustomed to laying out your own path.

As a writer/editor, I seldom had more than a couple of meetings a week; the rest of my time at work was my own to lay out. AS a programmer, software architect, manager of SW engineering, and finally college instructor, DH was also able to determine for himself how to use much of his time.

+ Personality type.

People-people may have a harder time adjusting to being around fewer people. This was true for my mother, who joined a bunch of clubs, and my father, who met people at the town pool and got involved with people online. For a while I did volunteer work, but I'm not really that social and it was wearing, so I stopped (also, as I started to do more travel, I couldn't give a consistent commitment).

"Type A's," who have a powerful need to accomplish things, might find the adjustment to retirement a little harder than others. But a little creativity in laying out appropriate goals will help.

Neither DH nor I are Type A, although we do have our moments, nor are we exactly Mañana types, although we have those moments too ;-)

+ Hobbies.

Got hobbies? Retirement is a boon as you can finally devote all the time you wish to them. We each have several hobbies, a few we like to do together, a few we like to do alone, one or two we do with others (not each other, such as DH attending guy movies with guy friends). We still love doing things together like talking about whatever's on our minds, walking in pretty places, listening to music, cooking.

No hobbies? Hey, watching TV and reading online are hobbies ;-)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us