The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/sincerely-i-didnt-mean-to-drive-you-off-murph-30634442.aspx

Subject:  Re: Higher Medicare premiums for Top 25% Date:  4/13/2013  12:40 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  71985 of 76384

Sincerely, I didn't mean to drive you off, Murph :-( I'm happy to have a new voice here. "Wanna trade" was supposed to be funny, not a strawman argument (but I've been known to get humor wrong before-).

I could have purchased private insurance superior to Medicare at age 65

I was only 16 when Medicare was started in 1965, so I looked up health insurance for over 65s before then. Hard info to find, but here's something from the history section of the wikipedia article on Medicare:

"Before Medicare's creation, only half of older adults had health insurance, with coverage often unavailable or unaffordable to the other half, because older adults had half as much income as younger people and paid nearly three times as much for health insurance. Medicare also spurred the racial integration of thousands of waiting rooms, hospital floors, and physician practices by making payments to health care providers conditional on desegregation"

I should think premiums would be phenomenally expensive for seniors today, what with our very expensive treatments for cancer, transplants and heart surgery, etc. developed since 1965. Out of reach for way more than half of seniors I should think.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us