The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/12-year-old-state-tax-bill-30635120.aspx

Subject:  12 Year Old State Tax Bill Date:  4/14/2013  4:52 AM
Author:  gentility Number:  118416 of 121482

Hello Good Fools!

I know this is a very busy time for tax professionals, so I hope this post doesn't get overlooked.

I just received 'Balance Due Notice', from the State of California, for $890.00. $461 of the $890 is penalty, interest, and collection fees.

I'm dumbfounded, as I've always filed my taxes. I moved from California to New York at the end of 2001, so I haven't filed in that state since then. I moved from New York to Wisconsin in 2005 and have always filed state income taxes. I've moved so many times, that most of my paperwork that is more than 7 or 8 years old is archived between storage in New York and here (WI). They gave me two weeks to pay this bill, and I may have to jump through hoops to find tax papers from that long ago.

I know I should call the 800 number, but I'm a bit scared to talk to anyone until I know what my rights are. That, and it is the weekend.

Can the state go back that far and expect payment in such a quick turn around. I know that tax fraud is probably indefinite with no expiration date. but I don't believe this would be considered tax fraud as the bill shows $2000 in adjustments (taxes withheld or paid?).

Is it normal for states to go so far back? Now I'm rethinking the whole 'Keep Documents Until ____', as per this notice, I assume I'd need to keep paperwork forever! UGH!

Thanks for reading!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us