The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Uncooperative, Signature Date:  4/14/2013  10:49 AM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  118421 of 127617

I can't imagine how to make an impending divorce more contentious than asking the IRS to get involved. For the $8000 difference, I might be better off just claiming all the income.

You really need to hire an advisor who knows Texas property law to help you on this. According to Pub 555 it may be possible to disregard the default community property treatment of earnings, but there are specific requirements. I don't think we have any Texas tax pros who frequent the board.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us