The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Uncooperative, Signature Date:  4/14/2013  1:01 PM
Author:  JAFO31 Number:  118424 of 124496

TMFPMarti: "I can't imagine how to make an impending divorce more contentious than asking the IRS to get involved. For the $8000 difference, I might be better off just claiming all the income.

You really need to hire an advisor who knows Texas property law to help you on this. According to Pub 555 it may be possible to disregard the default community property treatment of earnings, but there are specific requirements. I don't think we have any Texas tax pros who frequent the board."

Not a tax pro and not offering any advice.

Texas Familuy Code covers Texas Community Property: