The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/but-youre-also-talking-about-average-not-30635632.aspx

Subject:  Re: Higher Medicare premiums for Top 25% Date:  4/14/2013  5:31 PM
Author:  sykesix Number:  72023 of 75797

but you're also talking about 'average' -- not relevant here.

employees with unique, special skills and experience can negotiate for higher pay

think CEOs, TomCruise, NFL quarterbacks ...

Remember, I said that wages are mostly set by supply and demand. Not many guys can play quarterback in the NFL, so those wages are bid up.

The original claim was that if an employer's expenses were lower (for example, no FICA) then the employer would share at least some of those savings with the employee. If you look at the graphs I posted, corporate profits have been climbing steadily, but wages are stagnant. In other words, each worker is producing more money for corporations.

Reducing an expense is fundamentally the same as making more money, right? Yet, the case of making more money corporations as a whole aren't motivated to share those extra dollars with their employees. So why are corporations willing to share with their employee if expenses go down, but not in the case when profits go up? Makes no sense.

I realize there are some exceptions and marginal cases etc., but overall that's the way the world works.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us