The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-know-this-doesnt-help-you-but-heres-a-good-30635818.aspx

Subject:  Re: 12 Year Old State Tax Bill Date:  4/14/2013  8:48 PM
Author:  gentility Number:  118429 of 121594

I know this doesn't help you, but here's a good reason to scan in your financial documents so you can keep for decades without worrying about physically storing them. I back up regularly, and every so often burn a copy of "My Documents/Finance" to a dvd and keep it at my parents. I'd be more concerned about the paper documents getting lost / damaged at this point than I would about the electronic files getting corrupted/ lost.

I started doing this in 2004. I wish I would have started sooner. It was one of those tasks that I put to the side to do 'later', until it just didn't seem as important as continuing to scan/save current forms and receipts.

Unfortunately. I'm the type that saves just about everything and that actually makes it much more difficult to find items when I need them. I've forced myself to scan my most important documents, even though I still keep the hard copies. My husband says I have a 'paper addiction'...haha.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us