The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: 12 Year Old State Tax Bill Date:  4/14/2013  8:56 PM
Author:  gentility Number:  118430 of 127617

You moved "at the end of 2001", which means that you probably would have needed to file both California and New York state income taxes. Did you have any California sourced income in 2002? If a final check was issued in 2002, it might have triggered the requirement to file a California return.

We moved during Christmas break of 2001 and didn't need to file New York until 2002, with zero California income. I lost my job November 2001 and had received all of my back pay, vacation pay, and etc., by the end of the year. I was looking at a sizable federal return, so we filed before the end of February 2002.

I'm trying to remember if we had a tax accountant at that time, but I don't think we did. We had an accountant prepare our taxes up to the year 2000 and again in 2003. I suppose I could call my NY accountant (prepared the 2003 - 05 returns) to see if I may have given him copies of the prior years.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us