The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-can-science-know-when-an-ocean-has-become-so-30638944.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Global Water shortage. Date:  4/16/2013  10:04 PM
Author:  DrtThrwingMonkey Number:  200986 of 211709

How can science know when an ocean has become so salty that the marine ecosystem is endangered?

The question doesn't really apply, because any H2O taken from the sea gets back into the sea pretty quickly, through runoff or sewage.

But if it did, it would be easy to measure. The world's oceans are all about the same salinity, about 35 parts per thousand by weight, varying by less than 2% because of their huge interconnections and mixing. So if some evil water hog decided to store as much desalinated water as he could outside the seas, for instance, storing the equivalent of all the currently available fresh water in the world, i.e. all the current lakes, rivers, reservoirs and accessible aquifers (these constitute about 0.007% of all the water on earth), then the salinity of the ocean would go up by about .01%, which would probably be a detectable difference but would have no significant effect on life.

Worrying is my usual mode of investment thinking even with Tesla... I worry that Musk is working too hard and may get sick.

You've certainly picked an investment that has plenty to worry about!

Good luck, DTM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us