The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks B / Berkshire Hathaway

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/there-is-no-global-water-shortage-there-is-30642581.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Global Water shortage. Date:  4/18/2013  10:42 PM
Author:  putnid Number:  201032 of 214657

There is no global water shortage - there is exactly the same amount of water now as there has been for centuries, maybe a little more recently as some of the ice caps thaw. - DTM

Yes and no. You're right about the total quantity of water globally...it doesn't change all that much.

What's missing from your analysis is an examination of how that water is distributed.

For example, half the population of the US relies on groundwater for its potable supply. The folks living in the high plains and points south draw water from the Ogallala aquifer...and that aquifer is being pumped dry. These folks reside far from viable alternate water sources. Desalination, for them, is not an economically practicable solution.

Potable water is in short (and ever shrinking) supply. I consider this a growing macroeconomic concern. As an investor, I believe this will lead to lucrative opportunities. As a human being, I worry about my brethren/sisteren who'll find themselves thirsty and desperate.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us