The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-roth-401k-through-this-employer-is-30642621.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social security and payroll tax witholding Date:  4/18/2013  11:15 PM
Author:  irasmilo Number:  118465 of 121144

I have a Roth 401(k) through this employer. Is that money at risk? My account shows that I am 100% vested and clearly lists my name on the account, but it also shows Overhead Door on there as the name of the plan. The plan is administered through our payroll (paychex).

I appreciate all the replies so far. I hope to keep coming back here as I have more questions or as things develop.

It depends what you mean by "at risk". In the absence of any clearly illegal actions by your employer, your Roth 401(k) is not at risk from your employer becoming insolvent. It is still at risk for losses due to the investment decisions made by you or the entities (such as mutual funds) you entrust your assets to. Your employer's name is on the fund because they are the sponsors of the plan. They decide who the administrators are (such as Fidelity) and what investment choices are available to plan participants.

Ira
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us