The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-roth-401k-through-this-employer-is-30642747.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social security and payroll tax witholding Date:  4/19/2013  1:53 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  118466 of 121316

I have a Roth 401(k) through this employer. Is that money at risk? My account shows that I am 100% vested and clearly lists my name on the account, but it also shows Overhead Door on there as the name of the plan. The plan is administered through our payroll (paychex).

Since the plan is administered by your payroll provider, it would be very difficult, if not impossible, for your employer to get to your money once it's in your account. However, since your employer was caught not submitting the taxes that were withheld from your paycheck, you might want to confirm on your 401(k) statements that all the money that was withheld from your paycheck was actually deposited into your account. Plus, if you were promised any match from your employer, you should check your statements to confirm that you actually received it.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us