The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/to-keep-things-simple-i-use-the-vanguard-30642791.aspx

Subject:  Re: Asset Allocation Date:  4/19/2013  4:36 AM
Author:  dozer183e Number:  72071 of 75381

To keep things simple, I use the Vanguard Short-term Bond Fund for my 0-5 years money. At 0% interest, I don't see any reason to have anything in a money market fund today.</v>

Intercst, once again I appreciate your input.

So are you saying you make deposits and withdrawels frequently with this fund? Does it just act like a MM in that regard?

I was actually just looking at these Vanguard Bond Funds VBTLX VFITX VBIRX VFICX. I understand the Short Term Bond fund for 0-2 years, but if some of my funds were definitely 3-5 years out, would I want to look at one of the intermediate term funds? I actually have put most of my 5-8 year funds into VWINX which at 60/40 bonds to stocks may be bond heavy for that range. But I have enjoyed decent growth and dividend reinvestment there. So after 3 years, those 5-8 year funds are now 2-5 year ones, so you recommend I convert them to a bond fund like the one you suggest at that time?

dozer

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us